Goiti Yamauchi has been a part of the Bellator roster for quite some time, but he has likely never been closer to a shot at a title than he is right now.
At Bellator 284, Yamauchi (28-5 MMA, 14-4 BMMA) put an end to Neiman Gracie’s fight with punches at 3:58 of Round 2. Gracie had a record of 11-4 in MMA and 9-4 in BMMA. The fight served as the night’s main attraction and took place on Saturday at Sanford Pentagon in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
The knockout was the icing on the cake for Yamauchi’s overpowering performance, which began when he startled Gracie early in the first round and continued when he turned to his grappling. In the second round, Yamauchi appeared to have an advantage as well. Gracie was having trouble understanding his two-pronged attack, which consisted of both striking and grappling threats.
The vicious uppercut was the first blow of the knockout sequence. As Gracie fell to the mat, Yamauchi unleashed a flurry of follow-up punches, but the damage had already been done.
Yamauchi, who made his promotional debut in September 2013 at Bellator 99, becomes the first fighter to submit Neiman Gracie. He now has a three-fight winning streak and has prevailed in his last two bouts at the welterweight division. Gracie, on the other hand, has been victorious in only one of his last four bouts and has been defeated in consecutive bouts.
The up-to-the-minute Bellator 284 results include:
- Goiti Yamauchi def. Neiman Gracie via knockout (punches) – Round 2, 3:58
- Valentin Moldavsky vs. Steve Mowry results in a no contest (accidental eye poke) – Round 1, 0:54
- Ilima-Lei Macfarlane def. Bruna Ellen via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Gokhan Saricam def. Said Sowma via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Aaron Jeffery def. Austin Vanderford via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 1:25
- Marcos Breno def. Josh Hill via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- DeAnna Bennett def. Justine Kish via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Sullivan Cauley def. Tyson Jeffries via knockout (knee) – Round 1, 1:39
- Pat Downey def. Keyes Nelson via submission (arm triangle choke) – Round 1, 0:36
- Bailey Schoenfelder def. Mark Currier via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 2:35
- Mitchell McKee def. Tony Ortega via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 1:28