Jake Paul says Tommy Fury fight canceled, hints new opponent,
Fury’s received a termination notice. MVP did everything it could 2 help him & team. He wasn’t interested & he literally went into hiding.
2nd time in a row he has pulled out.
2nd time in a row I’m going to step up & take on a new opponent on short notice. AUG 6. MSG.
Paul didn’t say who he’d be fighting Aug. 6, but Sports Illustrated reports that he’s finalizing a deal to take on Hasim Rahman Jr., the son of former heavyweight champ Hasim Rahman.
Rahman Jr. is 31 years old with a 12-1 professional record. Paul, 25, is 5-0 with three of his wins over former MMA champions Tyron Woodley (twice) and Ben Askren.
Fury’s withdrawal comes in the wake of recently being denied entry into the U.S. Last week, Fury was held up at Heathrow Airport in London as he tried to depart for New York to attend a press conference with Paul. However, he was denied due to his family’s ties with Irish crime boss Daniel Kinahan, who is wanted by the U.S. government.
Fury said he was taken aback after the incident transpired.
“I can stand here, and I say I’ve done absolutely nothing wrong, and I have no clue why I’m not allowed to travel to the USA,” Fury said.
This marks Fury’s second time withdrawing from a fight with Paul after he pulled out of their scheduled meeting last December. Woodley replaced Fury on just two weeks’ notice and was knocked out in the rematch with Paul.