ESPN reports UFC 280 will feature Beneil Dariush vs. Mateusz Gamrot. The winner might be next in line for the open championship, which will be fought for by Charles Oliveira and Islam Makhachev in the main event of the same show.
UFC 280 takes place Sept. 22 in Abu Dhabi's Etihad Arena.
Dariush (21-4-1 MMA, 15-4-1 UFC) is a seven-time winner. At UFC 262, he beat Tony Ferguson by unanimous decision. Dariush was scheduled to fight Makhachev at UFC Fight Night 202, but he injured his fibula. Now healed, he wants a title shot.
Dariush told ESPN that the winner gets the belt. He likes the pairing and simply wants to win.
Gamrot (21-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC) just won his first UFC big event. At UFC on ESPN 38, Gamrot beat Arman Tsarukyan. Gamrot won against Scott Holtzman, Jeremy Stephens, and Diego Ferreira in 2021 after losing in his debut.
UFC 280 now features:
- Charles Oliveira vs. Islam Makhachev – for vacant lightweight title
- Aljamain Sterling vs. T.J. Dillashaw – for bantamweight title
- Sean Brady vs. Belal Muhammad
- Sean O’Malley vs. Petr Yan
- Beneil Dariush vs. Mateusz Gamrot